Friday, November 30, 2012

My New Warm and Comfy Boot Inserts



I recently bought a lovely 100% wool dress in a gorgeous shade of purple called Byzantium. It’s my favorite garment this autumn. It looks great with boots and black tights, but I felt like that outfit needed more accessories in the same color palate.
Boot inserts came to mind!


I’ve seen so many beautiful and chic ones on Pinterest; I especially liked knitted ones with cables. But since it has been a few years since I held knitting needles, I decided to go with crocheted ones.

I used Vickie Howell Sheep(ish) yarn (70% acrylic, 30% wool), Plum(ish) color and E/4-3.50MM hook. One ball was enough.




I started with ch 28 loosely. Sc in back ridge of second ch from hook and in each ch across (27 sc), ch 1 turn.


Then just sc in back loop only of each sc across (27 sc), ch 1 turn. I repeated this row until I got a piece long enough to fit around my calf (40 rows in total). 


I folded the piece in half, right side inside, and stitched together using sc. Fastened off and turned the right side out.


More patterns for women from my shop:




14 comments:

  1. clever idea. will make a nice present..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really great. I like this style and color. In general, I like handwork and I am thrilled with your blog. There's a lot of useful things that can be learned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! I love that color--one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello

    Great idea, the color is wonderful, an original piece.

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Olga, and such a stylish idea! I bought a pair of high, black boots that I wear often. Perhaps, I could find time to follow your instructions and make a pair for myself! I see you used a 4 (3.5 mm) hook that I think is the same as an "E". That seems small for the yarn your used. Were you looking for a tighter stitch or am I mistaken about the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine, I just checked my hook, it says E/4-3.50MM
      So you were right. Thank you for pointing that out. I should correct my post, so other crocheters won't be confused. And I should definitely learn a bit more about US hook sizes.

      Delete
  6. when you turn and go back do you chain one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's correct. Thank you for pointing it out; I'll add that in my post.

      Delete
  7. They are so beautiful & so lovely!

    ReplyDelete